The Law Offices of John J. Finckbeiner Jr.
Call Us for a Consultation

Common questions about personal injury claims

Accidents can happen anytime, anywhere, for a multitude of reasons. If you have been injured in an accident, you may be wondering what legal options are available.

What qualifies as a personal injury case?

Personal injury cases occur when an individual suffers an injury due to another person's actions. You have the option to formally pursue an injury case through civil court proceedings or you may be able to reach a settlement for a lawsuit is filed.

Is there a time limit in which to file a lawsuit?

In the state of Louisiana, you have one year from the time the injury occurred or is discovered to bring a civil action against the defendant.

Should I have a lawyer pursue my case?

Personal injury cases require extensive knowledge of the laws surrounding such claims, an understanding of the circumstances of the injury, and experience with court proceedings.

Employing an attorney to review and file a suit for your claim will alleviate unnecessary stress while you recuperate from your injuries.

How do I file a formal lawsuit?

In order to file your claim in court, you will have to file a civil complaint against the person or entity that caused your injury.

Your claim will have to allege that the defendant acted in a negligent or irresponsible manner that resulted in the injury.

Can I settle out of court?

Many times personal injury claims are settled out of court through an informal settlement. The negotiation usually takes place between the individuals involved, their respective insurance companies, and their attorneys.

Once a settlement is reached, a written agreement is enacted in which both parties agree to take no further action. Typically, a monetary settlement is agreed to by both you and the person responsible for your injuries and there is no need for a lawsuit. However, if there is a breach of contract, damages may then be pursued in court.

If you have been injured due to someone else's negligence, it is important to know your rights. For advice on how to proceed, contact an experienced personal injury attorney.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Free Initial Consultation

Call 504-662-1754 to contact either of our two convenient locations in New Orleans or Chalmette for quick, prompt and courteous legal services. Initial consultations are always free because we believe that everyone in Louisiana should have the opportunity to learn more about his or her rights. We are available Monday through Friday during regular business hours, and by appointment on weekends.

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Review Us

Chalmette Office
Chalmette Office
2203 Pakenham Drive
Chalmette, LA 70043

Phone: 504-662-1754
Fax: 504-279-5375
Map & Directions

New Orleans Office
French Quarter Office
327 Exchange Place
New Orleans, LA 70130

Phone: 504-569-0277
Fax: 504-569-0278
Map & Directions